Click to Enlarge / Copy and Paste / Size as You Wish / Print and Enjoy!

Search Recipes

Monday, March 7, 2011

Kefir Smoothies

I have a kefir smoothie (Click here for my What is Kefir? post) at least four days a week.  It's delicious and nutritious, and a great snack to help me curb sugar cravings.  It's also a perfect post-workout meal, because calcium after exercising = stronger bones, stronger heart, easier weight control, and faster muscle recovery.  I started my kefir smoothie drinking in April of 2010, the same time I started running four days a week.  I lost fifteen pounds in six months, and I feel like these smoothies were a big part of helping me to get in shape and stay in shape.
One of my favorite smoothie add-ins (a tip from my sister, Ali), is to add a handful of fresh spinach to any smoothie.  It doesn't affect the taste in the slightest, but adds all the great iron, vitamin C, and antioxidants that spinach provides.  If you don't like spinach or other leafy greens--sneaking it into a smoothie is the way to go.

This recipe card has my two favorite smoothie combinations.  The 5-grain cereal adds complex carbohydrates and fiber, which help to keep you full longer.  The nuts add healthy fats and protein (plus amazing flavor), and the flaxseed adds protein.  Each recipe makes about 32-ounces (4 cups)--enough for two people to enjoy a large, healthy, delicious shake. 

1 comment:

  1. Here's most of my problem with smoothies: washing the blender.

    Ugh.

    I don't get around to it .. until the next morning when I want to have another smoothie. Grumble, grumble.

    Hey - I could have TWO blenders. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to BexBox! I hope you enjoy using my recipe cards as much as I enjoy making them.