Click to Enlarge / Copy and Paste / Size as You Wish / Print and Enjoy!

Search Recipes

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Texas Sheetcake: Allen Style


This cake is one of my husband, Allen's, specialties.  My sisters always ask him to make it when they come for a visit.  It really is the moistest, chocolatiest, most yummiest cake around.  The only such cake that could prompt me to use a grammatically incorrect double superlative without pause.



But Allen doesn't make it in a cookie sheet pan, like most people do.  He makes it in a 9x13 casserole dish, which is what helps make the cake so dense and moist.  And he added cinnamon, whole wheat flour, and some extra chocolate to the recipe . . . all winners.




Allen has made this cake so many times that you'd think he could whip one out in no time.  But that hubby o' mine is nothing if not slow thorough.  All of my sisters know that it will be at least a three-hour wait, from start to finish, when they ask him to please make it.  But that's part of its charm.

Al usually asks me to make the frosting, because I'm a bit better judge of a good frosting consistency.  It's pretty basic: 1 melted half cup of butter, 1/3 cup of cocoa, 3 cups of powdered sugar, a splash of vanilla and a splash of whole milk.  It's hard to wait until the cake is cool to frost it.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Also, perhaps some people even ask Allen to come visit SO they can ask him to make the cake. I can practically smell it now, the memory of E. 29th St. smells wafting over to me now. Talk about a delicious cake. And don't you have a huge pan? Something like 2 ft. by 3 ft.?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to BexBox! I hope you enjoy using my recipe cards as much as I enjoy making them.