Click to Enlarge / Copy and Paste / Size as You Wish / Print and Enjoy!

Search Recipes

Monday, February 14, 2011

Oreo Bonbons

Um, hello.  It's a Christmas miracle.  

So, my sister-in-law, Heather, was the first person to introduce these to me in 2007--she got them from a mutual friend of ours in the ward.  I think that was the year this yummy goodness started spreading like wildfire.

Heather didn't really have a name for them, and so I took it upon myself to dub them "Oreo Bonbons." (I have seen them called "Oreo Truffles" on the Internet) When I first ate one, I thought it was some sort of miniature cake or brownie that had been dipped in chocolate. But there are actually only three ingredients: Oreos, cream cheese, and almond bark. 

And winning ingredients they are. 

If someone had told me about this dessert and what it was made out of, I know I wouldn't have been very keen on trying it. But the proof is in the pudding, people. {Bonus: The only "cooking" it involves is melting the almond bark in a double boiler.}
 
Truman helping in 2007
Brigham AND Truman helping crush the Oreos in the food processor

I am ashamed to admit that I got a food processor just so I could crush a whole package of Oreos in a matter of seconds . . . instead of taking forever with a rolling pin (and yes, even a hammer).  But I do use my food processor for all kinds of things--this dessert was the thing that pushed it from the "want" category to the "need" category.  

Sometimes I leave the toothpicks in and dip the bottom of each bonbon in white chocolate or different colored sprinkles . . . or both.  They are sinfully delicious, and should only be made once a year.  

Truman helping in 2011
(don't be freaked out by how
greasy they look before dipping)
Another way to prepare these, that I didn't include with the directions, is to puree everything in a blender and then inject the ingredients intravenously . . . for a faster holiday fix. 

I hope it adds enjoyment to your holidays.



1 comment:

  1. These are Elder Miller's favorite, and he got them for Christmas. =)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to BexBox! I hope you enjoy using my recipe cards as much as I enjoy making them.