Click to Enlarge / Copy and Paste / Size as You Wish / Print and Enjoy!

Search Recipes

Friday, February 11, 2011

Economic Recession Chicken

In the spirit of looking on the bright side about the Economy-with-a-capital-E, here's a recipe I've come up with to help those pinched pennies stretch even further.


I've taken to adding the words "Economic Recession" to every area of my life in which I am trying to save money or cut corners. It makes both Allen and I laugh, and I think that's a good thing.

Here's the cost break-down of this delicious dish:
  1. chicken thighs: 12-pack at Winco................... $4.50
    (Six at a time = $2.25 per meal)
  2. lemon: .......................................................... $.50
  3. Mrs. Dash: (2.5 ounce jar) ............................. $3.50
    (About one-fourth of the jar = $.88)
Grand Total: ........................................................... $3.63
Add some homemade bread and your favorite frozen vegetables, and you're looking at feeding your family of six for around $6 at the most.

Of course, you might make this easy, yummy, cost-efficient, in-your-face-Economic-Recession meal, then set the table lovingly and call everyone in to dinner, only to have your (extremely picky) four-year-old announce, "I am so, so disappointed . . . of this dinner."

This coming from a kid who won't eat frosting.

Here's a picture of the assembly, in case my directions seem unclear. It's one of our (Brigham excepted) new favorite meals!


1 comment:

  1. You bake the lemon? Wow! I am laughing just thinking of you and Allen laughing at the phrase 'economic recession'. It does make it better to have someone to laugh with (or, more properly said, someone with whom to laugh). And don't forget ... someday, you'll have bragging rights with your children: "When we were raising you kids, times were so economically recessed that we had to bake lemons & eat the rinds!"

    I like the budget breakdown, by the way. That would be a nice feature for future recipes ... cost per serving, etc. I think many of us don't realize that cooking inexpensively can also be just as tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to BexBox! I hope you enjoy using my recipe cards as much as I enjoy making them.