Click to Enlarge / Copy and Paste / Size as You Wish / Print and Enjoy!

Search Recipes

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Artisan Bread: boule (basic dough recipe)

If you only buy one cookbook this year, buy this one.
You can read about this very recipe and more on the authors' website.  I borrowed my dad's copy of the book, and need to buy my own before his gets completely covered in sticky dough spots on my favorite pages. . .
But, you lucky blogstalkers, you, I am slowly but surely making the recipes from this book into recipe cards, for the selfsame reason of floury pages: recipe cards are cleaner and more accessible.
I usually make baguettes or ciabatta with this recipe.  And after you use all of your refrigerated dough (it usually makes enough four loaves), you don't clean out the container--just mix another batch of dough and dump it in to cultivate some wee yeastie beasties . . . the bread gets more and more of an authentic sourdough taste.

You'll understand the history, process, and chemistry of baking artisan bread if you read the book, and I do think that reading about all of these things gives you an edge in baking the breads that the authors describe--plus there are pictures.  But in the mean time, here is the recipe card for one of the "master recipes."  This is the simplest one, and the one I use the most, along with the flatbread and olive oil dough recipe.








4 comments:

  1. Becca, thanks so much for sharing this!! I'm so excited to find a bread recipe that doesn't include milk. We'll be making this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this recipe. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy the book yet - I know I should. My friend made this and we ate it all the time when we stayed with her for a week. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have it favorited on Amazon. Waiting for hubs to realize it would make a great gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    Nice site, I'm so excited to find a bread recipe that doesn't include milk. We'll be making this one for sure. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to BexBox! I hope you enjoy using my recipe cards as much as I enjoy making them.